twitter




Sunday, May 23, 2010

Is there a way to recover email after Outlook was uninstalled?

I had to unistall MS office and when I backed up my docs, I forgot about the emails. Have they been deleted permanently or are they stored somewhere?

Is there a way to recover email after Outlook was uninstalled?
Paste the following into the address bar on any open folder (I usually use the "My Computer" folder, but any folder will work...)





%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook





This will open up a folder that is hidden by default in XP (assuming you are using XP) you will see a file that says Outlook.pst and Archive.pst. (Note: it may not say ".pst" on the end...) These are your outlook files, just re-import them from the "File" menu after you re-install them...





Note: If you re-install Outlook, it may create a Outlook1.pst or Archive1.pst (and it may be 2, 3, or 4... just depends on how many times you've re-installed it... In that case you will want to import all of them so you aren't missing any emails/attchments, etc...)





I haven't tried this under Vista yet (just because I uninstalled vista on all my new machines and went back to xp...) but it may still work, you can't hurt it by trying...





Just to speed up the process, when the import location dialog comes up, where it says file name at the bottom, you can paste the above text (the line you copied) and it will bring you right to where those files are stored...

hip hop

1 comment:

  1. Once early morning I entered the Inet and was seeking a report, but by chance caught sight - forgot .pst password outlook xp. It amazed me reason of the tool recovered all my old crashed passwords for very short time and easy. It was free as I kept in mind.

    ReplyDelete